3940 State Water Resources Control Board
20 - WATER RIGHTS
This program ensures that California's water resources are put to beneficial use, while protecting prior rights, water quality and the environment. Specific activities include:
- Allocating the unappropriated waters of the state to ensure water is used in accordance with state laws.
- Maintaining a record of title of appropriative water rights initiated and maintained since 1914, including those for stockponds, livestock and small irrigation and domestic use ponds.
- Maintaining records of water diversion and use under riparian and pre-1914 rights and groundwater extractions in four southern counties.
- Enforcing permit and license terms and conditions, abate illegal diversions, protect public trust resources, and prevent waste or unreasonable use under all rights.
- Assisting the courts in determining existing rights to surface water throughout the state through court reference and statutory adjudication proceedings, and in determining rights to groundwater through the groundwater adjudication process.